Welcome to William Street Common, an unconventional bar and kitchen located in University City.
DRAFT BEERS AND WINES ● SPECIALTY COCKTAILS ● COMFORT FOOD ● LIVE! MUSIC VENUE ● PRIVATE PARTIES
Before it was called 39th Street, William Street was part of Hamilton Village, laid out by developer William Hamilton in the early 1800s. Hamilton named many of the neighboring streets after his loved ones, and the area was considered quite an attraction. Local officials described it as, "... elevated and remarkably healthy; the streets are wide, and may of them, bordered with handsome shade trees." William Street officially became 39th Street in 1854 when the city of Philadelphia expanded its municipality to encompass all of what we know today, as West Philadelphia.